Frequently Asked Questions
- Are your products made with chemicals? Yes, everything is a chemical. Any chemical can be dangerous if there are toxic levels of it present and a person is exposed to that toxic level long enough. Even water, an essential chemical for life on Earth, can poison a person if they ingest too much water. Drinking too much water causes hyponatremia, and some symptoms include confusion, vomiting, and changes in mental state. Severe symptoms are seizures, coma, and death.
- Why do you use soy wax? The soy wax that I use for my products is completely made in the USA and made only from soybeans grown in the USA on existing farms that have operated for multiple generations. New farmland is not cleared to make room for these soybean farms. My soy wax didn't travel very far for me to use it in my products. Soy wax is sustainable, biodegradable, and renewable. I also like the qualities that soy wax gives to my products.
- Are your products organic? They are organic because they are mostly made from carbon based compounds. They are not organic the way the term is used in regards to growing plants because my ingredients are conventionally grown.
- Do your products contain any ingredients made with genetic engineering? Yes, my products are sometimes made with some genetically engineered ingredients. There is only a small list of things that are available as genetically engineered products to the general consumer in the USA. The genetically engineered ingredients that I sometimes use are soy wax, beet sugar, and cottonseed oil. I rarely use alfalfa powder or corn oil. The canola oil that I use has not been genetically modified.
- Are your products tested on animals? My products are tested on my family. I purchase ingredients from companies that don't test their products on animals.
- Are your products natural? There is no FDA definition of natural, and just about anything can be labeled as natural. Most of my ingredients are made from plants. Natural is not necessarily safer or better than synthetic things. Asbestos and lead are not man made, but they are dangerous at just about any dose.
- Why do you use glassine to package soaps and other products? It is 100% biodegradable, 100% recyclable, and 100% made of trees from sustainably managed forests. It provides protection from grease, water, air, and moisture. The glassine bags I use are made in the US
- Why do you use cellophane to package products? Real cellophane is made from cottonwood trees grown and harvested just for making cellophane. It's 100% biodegradable and provides protection from grease, water, air, and moisture. The cellophane that I use is made in the USA.
- Why should I buy your soaps? I make pretty soaps with designs and fragrances that may not be easy to find in a regular store. I try to take a video of me making as many of my products as possible to show my customers how I make everything. I try to give my soaps and other products science based names to help people see that science is important in our everyday lives. Buying soaps from me means that you are supporting a family business.
- Do you use any palm or ingredients made from palm? No
- Where is Chemical Concoctions? My handmade liquid soaps, bar soaps, cream soaps, air fresheners, and soy wax melts, are made in Reno, NV in the USA. Reno is near Carson City and about 8 hours north of Las Vegas.
- What are soy wax melts used for? They are used to scent a room when melted in a wax warmer made for melting wax melts. I bought my electric wax warmer on Amazon. They are a nice way to scent a room without using a flame.
- What plant butters do you use in cold process and hot process soap? I use shea butter most of the time in my handmade soaps, but I sometimes use mango butter and cocoa butter.
- What oils do you use in your handmade soap? I use canola oil, safflower oil, rice bran oil, castor oil, sunflower oil, apricot kernel oil, avocado oil, soy oil, corn oil, and cottonseed oil. I sometimes use babasu oil and jojoba oil.
- Are your ingredients vegan? Yes, I don't use any animal products or ingredients tested on animals. My ingredients are from companies that don't test their products on animals.