Frequently Asked Questions
- Are your products made with chemicals? Yes, everything is a chemical. Any chemical can be dangerous if there are toxic levels of it present and a person is exposed to that toxic level long enough. Even water, an essential chemical for life on Earth, can poison a person if they ingest too much water. Drinking too much water causes hyponatremia, and some symptoms include confusion, vomiting, and changes in mental state. Severe symptoms are seizures, coma, and death.
- Why do you use soy wax? The soy wax that I use for my products is made only from soybeans grown in the USA on existing farms that have operated for multiple generations. New farmland is not cleared to make room for these soybean farms. My soy wax didn't travel very far for me to use it in my products. Soy wax is sustainable, biodegradable, and renewable. I also like the qualities that soy wax gives to my products.
- Are your products organic? They are organic because they are mostly made from carbon based compounds. They are not organic the way the term is used in regards to farming because most of my ingredients are conventionally grown.
- Do your products contain any ingredients made with genetic engineering? Yes, my products are sometimes made with some genetically engineered ingredients. There is only a small list of things that are available as genetically engineered products to the general consumer in the USA. The genetically engineered ingredients that I use in some products are soy wax, beet sugar, and cottonseed oil. I sometimes use alfalfa powder and corn oil which may have come from genetically engineered plants. The canola oil that I use has not been genetically modified.
- Are your products tested on animals? My products are tested on my family. I purchase ingredients from companies that don't test their products on animals.
- Are your products natural? There is no FDA definition of natural. Therefore, just about anything can be labeled as natural. Most of my ingredients are made from plants. Natural is not necessarily safer or better than synthetic things. Asbestos and lead are not man made, but they are dangerous at just about any dose.
- Why do you use glassine to package soaps and other products? It is 100% biodegradable, 100% recyclable, and 100% made of trees from sustainably managed forests. It provides protection from grease, water, air, and moisture. The glassine bags I use are made in the USA.
- Why do you use real cellophane to package products? The real cellophane that I use is made from cottonwood trees grown and harvested just for making cellophane. It's 100% biodegradable and provides protection from grease, water, air, and moisture. The real cellophane that I use is made in the USA. Real cellophane is not the same as cello because cello is plastic.
- Why should I buy your soaps, soy candles, and soy wax melts? I make soaps with designs and fragrances that may not be easy to find in a regular store. I usually post a video of me making my products to show my customers how I make everything. Buying soaps from me means that you are supporting a family business.
- Do you use any palm or ingredients made from palm? No, I don't use any palm or ingredients derived from palm.
- Where is Chemical Concoctions? My handmade soaps, soy candles, and soy wax melts, are made in Reno, NV. Reno is near Carson City and about 8 hours north of Las Vegas.
- What are soy wax melts used for? They are used to scent a room. They should be melted in a wax warmer made for melting wax melts. I bought my electric wax warmer on Amazon. They are a nice way to scent a room without using a flame.
- What plant butters do you use in cold process and hot process soap? I use shea butter most of the time in my handmade soaps, but I sometimes use mango butter and cocoa butter.
- What oils do you use in your handmade soap? I use canola oil, safflower oil, rice bran oil, castor oil, sunflower oil, apricot kernel oil, avocado oil, soy oil, corn oil, and cottonseed oil. I sometimes use babasu oil and jojoba oil.
- Are your ingredients vegan? Yes, I don't use any animal products or ingredients tested on animals. My ingredients are from companies that don't test their products on animals.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies